Monday, August 9, 2010

inspiration monday



from Safety Can Be Fun by Monroe Leaf, 1938.

Today's dose of inspiration comes from, Munro Leaf. He is best known for writing the ode to individualism, Ferdinand the Bull, which was illustrated by Robert Lawson and later animated by Disney

But it is his book, Grammar Can Be Fun, that really caught my eye and made me appreciate him as an author/illustator. There is a great post with lots of Grammar Can Be Fun illustrations here.  His enitre Can Be Fun series is a hoot and includes such gems as: Arithmetic Can Be Fun, Safety Can Be Fun, Manners Can Be Fun, and Science Can Be Fun.

I feel really nostalgic when I read his books. They make me think of the youth oriented Coronet Instructional Films that were shown in schools in the 40's and 50's. Some amazing examples of these short films can be seen in the Prelinger Archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment